Waterproofing a bed is an absolute requirement for any home that has family members with bladder control challenges. Whether young or old, bed wetting can be an upsetting experience, which can be made worse if you have to get out of bed and clean the mattress to prevent stains and odors. Waterproof mattress were created to prevent this hassle, and where once they were uncomfortable and noisy, modern options are soft and durable. Not all options are the same however, and you’ll need to know how to buy a waterproof mattress that fits your particular needs.
1. Measure the bed you will be placing the mattress on.
Not only will you need to know the bed size (twin, full, queen or king), but you will need to know the actual height, length, and width dimensions as many mattress only come in small, medium, or large. You’ll need to know your actual sizing to purchase the one that’s appropriate, otherwise it might not fit your bed or the extra bulk from your sheets may not fit correctly once the mattress is installed.
2. Research available waterproof mattress to determine what will work best for your needs.
There are benefits and limitations to each option, and you’ll need to know which one will suit your lifestyle the best before purchasing.
3. Gauge what level of absorbency you need, so you’ll know how thick of a mattress you’ll need.
If you have an adult bed wetter, he or she may produce more urine than a toddler, so consider investing in a thicker mattress to help guarantee protection. Generally the thicker the mattress, the more expensive the product. If price is a concern, buy the product that most closely matches your actual need rather than the thickest and most expensive.
4. Compare materials of the mattress options you are choosing.
While more expensive, high density foam is the best choice in the long run because it lasts much longer than other materials, but if durability isn’t a concern you might be able to get by with a lesser product.
5. Avoid letting price be the biggest factor when choosing a pad.
In most cases, mattress that are significantly less than other options are made of cheap materials. This results in having to replace the mattress frequently due to tears or damage. In a short time, you may end up paying twice as much as you would have if you’d chosen a better quality item.
6. Look for layers.
The best waterproof mattress will have 3 layers or more, including a bottom layer designed for absorbency, a middle waterproof layer, and a top layer that is usually made out of soft cloth and provides cushioning. Top-end varieties have even more layering for superior comfort, but as long as your choice contains the basic 3, you can be assured of a good product.
Top 5 Waterproof Mattress
- FULL Waterproof Sealed Urine resistant, bedwetting mattress
- Cleanup is quick and easy!!Simply wipe down the entire mattress with a mild disinfectant
- Same great medium density foam throughout the entire mattress. Can be flipped over for extended use
- Permanent Soft Durable waterproof vinyl cover that is Non-Allergenic, Odor free, Flame retardant, anti-static, Crack resistant and Phthalate Free! Cover is also BACTERIA RESISTANT: Ultra-Fresh* antimicrobial / antifungal system is EPA registered and is certified to contain no heavy metal or arsenicals. Effective for the life of the fabric. Prevents odors and offers a no charge certification system
- READY FOR THE ROOM Set includes both a mattress and box spring, giving you the key components for the bed for one great price
- COMPLETELY FLUID PROOF Vinyl cover makes the mattress waterproof and ideal for adults and kids with incontinence concerns
- OPTIMAL BACK SUPPORT Orthopedic mattress and supportive foundation fully support the spine
- MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR INSTITUTIONAL USE Sealed cover with no zipper meets hygiene standards for use in hospitals and long-term care facilities
- Orthopedic type innerspring mattress
- Fluid proof vinyl cover
- Specifically designed for institution with sealed cover and no zipper
- Queen Waterproof/Incontinence Bariatric Mattress with Soft Durable Sealed Waterproof Vinyl Cover – Supports up to 500lbs.
- Specially designed zoned high density foam core is ideal for bariatric patients. Uniquely designed to last longer than a traditional innerspring mattress
- Cleanup is quick and easy!!Simply wipe down the entire mattress with a mild disinfectant, (Simple Green works the best)
- Sealed Soft Durable waterproof vinyl cover that is Non-Allergenic, Odor free, Flame retardant, anti-static, Crack resistant and Phthalate Free! Cover is also BACTERIA RESISTANT: Ultra-Fresh* antimicrobial / antifungal system is EPA registered and is certified to contain no heavy metal or arsenicals. Effective for the life of the fabric. Prevents odors and offers a no charge certification system
- DUAL SIDE SLEEP SYSTEM. The Little Dreamer Dual Surface Mattress is a two-stage sleep system for your infant or toddler. Use the extra firm, eco-friendly, plant based foam layer for your infant, or soft plush side for your toddler
- MEDICAL GRADE FABRIC. The medical grade fabric used is waterproof, durable stretch knit fabric with extra tight sewn seams. It is certified to be free of toxic flame-retardant chemicals and has low impact on indoor air due to low VOC
- CLEANS EASILY. The 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic material makes cleaning this dual system sleeping mattress a breeze. With SafeSewn Seams, it is bed bug and dust mite resistant, so you can ensure your baby will have sweet dreams