Mattress protectors are important because they help keep your mattress warranty in good standing for as long as possible. You’ll want that warranty if something happens to your mattress and you need it replaced or refunded.
They can also enhance your sleep experience by providing extra comfort and breathability. Here’s what you need to look for in your next mattress protector.
1. Protection and Prevention
In general, mattress protectors help provide the following protection to your mattress:
- Liquid stains and damage (like water)
- Dust mite and allergens
- Bed bugs
- Keep mattress clean and dry
- Help stabilize body temperature overnight
- Increase lifespan of your mattress
Not all mattress protectors look the same. There are the following general types:
- Encasement (or zippered): The protector covers 100% of your mattress from the top to the bottom. The protector is often closed with a zipper.
- Fitted: A popular type of protector, this fits your mattress in the same way a fitted sheet would (tucked under your mattress with pocketed corners.
- Elastic strap: This protector lays on the top of your mattress while elastic straps wrap around the four corners. This anchors the protector to the mattress.
Protectors come in a variety of different materials. They may also come in a blend of more than one material. Some materials include:
Vinyl and Polyurethane materials are waterproof and are frequently used in waterproof mattress protectors.
There has been some discussion over the safely using products that contain vinyl (and any toxic gas they may release). Many brands are choosing to make waterproof mattress protectors that are vinyl-free.
4. Size and Care
Protectors come in all different sizes – there are even protectors to cover crib mattresses and mini-crib mattresses.
If you anticipate needing to clean your mattress protector frequently, consider purchasing one that is machine washable and dryer-friendly.
Keep in mind that drying a mattress protector on too high a heat setting may damage the waterproof membrane on the protector. It is important to follow the specific care instructions that come with your protector.
In general, the more technology, functionality, and service the protector provides the more expensive it will become.
There are plenty of simple mattress protectors on the market for less than $50. There are also some very specialized protectors that has technology built into the protector to help stabilize body temperatures at night.
Top 5 Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Protects Against Dust Mites, Fluids, Urine, Perspiration, Allergens And Bacteria (10-Year Warranty)
- Hypoallergenic Cotton Terry Surface With Membrane Back Coating (Waterproof, Noiseless and Breathable)
- Great For Those With Kids, Pets, Allergies, Asthma, Eczema Or Incontinence
- Will Not Change The Feel of Your Mattress (Registered With The FDA As A Class 1 Medical Device)
- 6 SAFE PROTECTION FEATURES: Prevent bed bugs, allergens, dust mites, pet dander, odors, and water based spills from harming your mattress
- BREATHABLE LAYER: 70% bamboo and 30% microfiber with an antimicrobial treatment that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria on fabric to keep your mattress fresh and clean
- WATERPROOF TERRYCLOTH: 100% TPU ( Terry Polyurethane ) waterproof and breathable keep spills and stains from ruining your mattress
- DEEP POCKET(18″) DESIGN: Queen size mattress protector 60” x 80”, fits mattress heights up to 18″ with elastic all around, making it snugly fit the mattress
- EASY CARE AND WARRANTY: Better wash before first use, gentle cycle, tumble dry on low heat and do not bleach, 24 MONTH WARRANTY
- Made in the USA
- Protects against allergens, dust mites, bacteria, perspiration, urine and fluids (15-Year Warranty)
- 100% waterproof membrane with fitted sheet style design – Queen Size Mattress Protector – 60″ x 80″ fits up to 18″ deep
- Luna Airflow Technology allows air to circulate through the protector, but repels liquids
- Hypoallergenic cotton terry surface is noiseless, will not change the feel of your mattress and naturally absorbs moisture
- Great for asthma, eczema and allergy sufferers (every Luna mattress protector is sourced and made in USA)
- PROTECT YOU, YOUR MATTRESS AND THE EARTH ✔ Our Ultra thin, quiet, no crinkling, breathable and waterproof backing protects your mattress from spills and messes due to incontinence and other day to day occurrences. The leak proof coating is attached to the eucalyptus material using TPU – a safe heat-bonding process that uses no harmful chemicals or solvents making it biodegradable and better for the environment.
- HYPOALLERGENIC/ALLERGY FREE ✔ Sleep easy knowing that One’s Own luxury mattress protectors help to reduce your ALLERGIES, ECZEMA and ASTHMA by blocking dust mites, allergens, mildew, mold, and bacteria, from entering your mattress. Good for your health, good for your bed!
- ALL NATURAL ✔ One’s Own Eucalyptus Mattress covers are safe for children, pets and visitors and protects your mattresses from spills, incontinence, accidents and other messes. You will be sleeping on top of a vegan, eco-friendly formaldehyde free, vinyl free and Phthalate free fabric. Good for the environment, good for your family.
- COMFORT AND EASE ✔ One’s Own mattress protectors are soft and smooth the surface is designed for perfect temperature control – keeping you warm in winter and cool in summer, ensuring year round comfort. The snug and tight fitting protectors keep you and your sheets on the bed allowing for a perfect night’s sleep. Machine washable and dryable makes them a breeze to clean.
- Even the smallest stain could void your mattress warranty. Our mattress pads offer the ultimate protection for your mattress from accidents. Our mattress cover is 100% waterproof and protects against perspiration, incontinence, pets, and any other fluids that could void your mattress warranty. The Polyester and Rayon Viscose derived from Bamboo mattress topper features our proprietary polyurethane backing. Does not contain PVC, Vinyl, or phthalates. OKEO-TEX Certified.
- Cooling Lulltra Polyester and Viscose Rayon derived from Bamboo blends to keep you comfortable through the night. Our waterproof membrane allows for airflow while you sleep providing protection and breathable comfort for a good nights rest. The mattress pad is noiseless, no cheap crinkly plastic sounds. The AccuFIT Mesh band expands to fit mattresses up to 18in deep. Perfect for use under your sheets.
- HYPOALLERGENIC – Protects your mattress against allergens, dust mites, bacteria and pet dander.
- Easy to care for – Machine Wash Cold Tumble Dry Low. Do not Iron. Do Not Bleach. Do not use Fabric Softener.