Although a hiking or camping backpack can certainly carry large loads, some excursions require greater capacity without compromising durability or weight. For these travel adventures, you may need to go with a DUFFEL BAG, which can be tossed under a plane seat, into the back of a Jeep, or at the base of Denali.
When it comes to choosing which kind of duffel is best for you, look at the bag’s most important features, including the material it’s made of, how much it can hold, how easily it can be transported, and if it’ll be used for any unique activities or climates.
The durability of your duffel depends on a few factors, including the material used in its construction, how beefy its seams are, how many support straps are included, and the type of zipper it has. Some of the most rugged duffels are made of ballistic nylon and TPE fabric laminate. Polyurethane fabrics are also available, and although these don’t offer the bombproof durability of ballistic nylon, they’re more water resistant. Keep this in mind if rain and water are a bigger threat than sharp crags.
The size of your bag depends on the capacity you need. Extra-large duffels usually carry about 155 liters—ideal for long trips that require many heavy supplies, such as bulky skiing and climbing gear. All the same materials are used in smaller duffels, guaranteeing their durability, but these bags are used for shorter trips that don’t need extensive supplies. Small bags, which are typically compact enough to be carried onto planes, offer around 40 liters of capacity.
If you don’t expect to be gone for more than a weekend, or even a four- or five-day trip if you’re crafty with your packing, you may want a medium-size duffel, which typically has a capacity of about 70 liters.
3. Ease of transport
You could have the most durable and spacious bag on the market, but if you strain your back just trying to carry it or have trouble locating packed items on demand, it won’t do you much good. The best duffels offer various handling methods, ranging from gripping it with your hands, carrying it over your shoulder, or wearing it like a backpack.
Opting for a duffel with alpine-cut shoulder straps may be your best bet, freeing your hands while traveling through airports or between destinations. For convenience, these bags also feature grip handles on top and haul handles on either side, giving you, and maybe even a caring travel partner, many options for baggage handling.
4. Ease of packing
When considered the ease of packing, look at the main compartment zipper shape and orientation, as these will both have a significant impact on getting items in and out of the bag. It’s also a good indicator of how easy you’ll be able to close it. In general, the D-shaped zippered openings are better than vertical zippers because they allow you to see and access more space.
When looking at the durability, we took into account the material each duffel was made of, how burly the seams were stitched, and what kind of zipper they used. Most bags are made of pretty thick polyurethane, which is considered the burliest and water-resistant material. However, other materials like ballistic nylon are also often burly enough (but not as water resistant).
Top 5 Waterproof Duffel Bag
- 100% WATERPROOF: The whole duffle bag is electrically welded together with 500D tarpaulin-nylon mesh with both sides coated by vinyl, so there are no needle holes. With the roll-top design, No amount of rain, snow, dirt, dust, or sand can penetrate this bag.
- LARGE CAPACITY: The size of the bag is 15×16×31 inches and it generously accommodates a substantial amount of stuff. Its large, open main compartment allows for the most flexible packing options, and the big mouth opening enables full unobstructed access to the bag’s interior.
- DURABLE AND LIGHT WEIGHT: Weighing in at only 4 lbs, yet incredibly durable and long lasting. Abrasion resistant and UV proof tarpaulin fabric, UV proof straps and buckles will survive much longer than the other designs.
- This duffel bag is made of top quality genuine crazy horse leather and waterproof durable canvas,bottom rivets.The premium quality ensure the long lasting durability.The high-density canvas won’t rip or tear when you put a lot of things in the duffel tote.And the quality solid zinc-alloy hardware won’t gather rust easily.
- You will be surprised at this travel bag’s size.the large main compartment and various inner pockets is perfect for clothes and traveling necessities.suitable for 3-4 days weekender or business trip, can be used as a carry-on flight bag.
This Blue Roll-Top Waterproof Duffel Bag gives you full protection against water; dirt and sand; with easy access to all your gear via a wide mouth opening. And the assortment of features like outer pockets; inside pockets; interior wet dry compartment; removable shoulder strap; and reflective strips; make this versatile waterproof duffel perfect for just about anything.
The 40 Litre Pro-Sports Duffel With fully removable padded backpack straps, this Red Roll-Top Waterproof Duffel Bag gives you full protection against water, dirt and sand, with easy access to all your gear via a wide mouth opening. With a 40L capacity, a large internal wet/dry pocket, external weatherproof front zip pocket and hook-and-loop mesh pocket; this waterproof holdall is the perfect travel, sailing or water sports bag. Constructed from tough PVC tarpaulin, it’s totally waterproof and suitable for quick submersion.
- A 100% dry duffel. But definitely not a cooler. Hydrolok zipper makes sure water stays out so your gear stays bone-dry, no matter how torrential it gets
- U-dock the terminal end of your hydrolok zipper that ensures a completely airtight seal
- Thickskin shell made of high-density nylon and thick tpu lamination to be puncture- and abrasion-resistant
- Dryhaul straps in the hands or on the back, they’re as durable as they are comfortable
- Metallock hardware this hardware can take on smacks and whacks without breaking