When you need a new bed for your apartment, I’m willing to bet you don’t just pick out the first mattress you see. Instead, you carefully select the perfect one based on a number of factors, including comfort, size, firmness, type of mattress, and so forth.
And believe it or not, you should spend the same amount of consideration on your dog’s bed. After all, if you’re enjoying a sound sleep every night, why shouldn’t your pup? Plus, your dog sleeps more than you do (even though you wish it was the other way around).
Here are 5 tips to select the best waterproof dog bed for your furry four-legged best friend.
Not all dog beds are created equal. You wouldn’t buy the same bed for a Chihuahua as you would a Bernese mountain dog. Measure the length of your pup before you go shopping for a bed so you know about what size to adhere to. Keep in mind that the bed should be 12 inches longer than the size of your dog so that its able to properly stretch out and be comfortable.
If you’re buying a bed for your new puppy who loves to chew up anything and everything in sight, durability should be the first priority in finding the best mattress. But if your dog is older, durability might not be as much of a concern, and instead comfort will be the #1 factor to worry about. Senior dogs might even require an orthopedic bed, which cushions joints and prevents your pup from feeling pain while it snoozes.
Each dog bed is made up of a different material that directly affects the overall comfort of the bed. There are three commonly used types of materials, which include polyfil, baffled polyfil and foam. The first is made from recycled soda bottles (woo! go green!), and baffled polyfil is made up of interlocking poly-filled tubes for ultimate comfort and support. The last, foam, is available in a number of different forms, from orthopedic to classic. Foam beds are typically best for older dogs with arthritic issues.
When you’re on a budget, it can be tempting to select the cheap dog bed. But if your pup frequently uses it, you could end up buying a new one within just a couple of months. In this case, it’s better to splurge on a high-quality bed that will give your four-legged friend the comfort and support it needs. However, before you make your purchase, consider how old your dog is. You probably shouldn’t splurge on an expensive puppy bed when your dog is just going to end up outgrowing it in a few short months. I would wait until your pet is fully grown before opting for the high-quality, expensive bed.
If you’ve spent months perfecting your dog-friendly apartment decor, I’m guessing you don’t want a bright orange dog bed distracting from all of your hard, stylish work. When picking out a dog bed, the last thing you should consider is the fabric and pattern.
Top 5 Waterproof Dog Bed
- A high quality bed available in a range of stylish colors to suit your home décor and fit effortlessly into your living space. Available in Medium, Large, Extra Large & XXL. Infographics and accurate measurements provided to help you to match your dog to the best mattress size
- Outer covering is made of quality Oxford fabric with added coating to make the bed waterproof. Resistant to abrasion and chemical agents, Oxford fabric ages well and washes well, keeping its appearance after each wash. Due to the fact that the bed is waterproof it can also be spot- treated and wiped clean
- Composed of a dense, solid foam mattress to support the dog’s body surrounded by a long, removable pillow which is shaped like a tube and stuffed with Dacron
- 100% Waterproof encasement cover protectors against accidents, bodily fluids, dirt and hair
- 4 inch thick bed features 2 inches of comfort memory foam and 2 inches of high-density support foam
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
- A waterproof removable and washable inner protects The Dog’s Bed from accidents and incontinent issues. Wash cover & inner seperately with the zipper closed, preferably by hand or on a gentle wash cycle. Replacement covers available.
- Premium grade, high quality, luxury memory foam and support foam, tested by experts to provide your dog with a sleeping experience in line with 5 star hotels whilst providing uniform and contour-balanced support – The Ultimate Dog Bed
- Excellent medical grade orthopedic support for older dogs providing therapeutic comfort for arthritis pain, muscle stiffness, hip dysplasia, arthritis and aching joints, contouring perfectly to your dog for maximum comfort and a sound night’s sleep
- TOP QUALITY COMFORT: Your dog deserves the best, so get our ultra-soft and super comfortable pet bed made from premium quality memory foam for super coziness.
- A THERAPEUTIC EXPERIENCE: Our dog beds provide your beloved pet with a better quality of life as it provides various health benefits to allow it to move and feel better.
- LARGE BREED FRIENDLY: From Poodles to Great Danes, our beds come in 3 large sizes to accommodate any dog size. Now you can find the perfect bed for your adorable pup.
- WATER RESISTANT: Ensure your pet’s resting space is hygienic and clean with a water resistant material to defend against spills, accidents and all liquids and fluids.
- Created for large breed dogs and includes a 10 year No Flat warranty.
- Medical grade orthopedic, non-toxic, joint supporting memory foam. Hypoallergenic.
- Specially designed dog bed to help soothe arthritis, joints and hips.
- 100% waterproof internal cover with a soft, durable and washable outer cover.