What type of boots to choose depends on the length of your trek and type of terrain you will face along the way. When hiking through wet soil, as often seen in certain areas of the Swedish mountains, requires boots that are waterproof. If you plan to carry a backpack loaded with gear for a multi-day trip, then you need a sturdier boot compared to simply heading out for a day hike. Read further to learn more about choosing the right type of boots to ensure an enjoyable adventure in the great outdoors.
Like sneakers, boots are made for specific types of trekking. Are you a casual hiker or do you spend more time deep in the mountains than at home? Knowing the difference will be integral in determining which boots will best suit your needs.
When it comes to hiking boots material is of grave importance. The wrong fabric can make your feet hot, uncomfortable and cramped. Find the right material for ultimate trail comfort.
3. High or low
Boots come in all different cuts, and this should especially be tailored to your type of trekking—the wrong cut could cause a rolled ankle or rocks in your shoes. There are three cuts to consider:
Low-cut: These are similar to running shoes. While they are perfect for lightweight, casual hiking, this cut leaves you vulnerable to ankle injuries. Boots in this cut are best worn on well-maintained trails.
Mid-cut: This style offers more ankle support and balance, as well as better buffer from debris along the trail.
High-cut: With optimal balance and ankle support, this cut is best for the adventurous hiker who is going on and off the trail, and traversing potentially dangerous terrain.
Another absolutely vital step is to get the correct fit. Fitting however isn’t just about the size of your feet, it’s also about the shape. This takes in many factors across the entire length of your foot, from the width of your heel all the way to the flexibility of your toes.
5. Leather or Synthetic
Thanks to advances in materials, the differences between leather and synthetic boots are increasingly small. In the past it could have been said that leather boots were more durable and easier to care for, whereas synthetic boots were lighter and required less ‘breaking in’. However, today these differences are less pronounced. What this means is that when selecting a pair of walking boots the amount of choice has never been better. Despite this, the most important part of your decision should, and will always be the fit. If they fit correctly then this is the best place to start.
- Polish-able leather and nylon upper. Dri-Lex breathable waterproof membrane liner with a full bootie construction (Guaranteed Waterproof). Slip, oil-resistant rubber outsole
- Removable high performance shock-absorbent cushion insert for all day comfort. Padded collar and tongue for extra comfort
- Lightweight, shock-absorbing moulded midsole. Athletic cemented construction
- YKK heavy duty side zipper with closure for fast on and off. Composite shank for stability and support
- Shaft measures approximately 9″ from arch
- Waterproof work boot featuring Goodyear leather welt construction, Chip-A-Tex waterproof bootie, and Ruby Dri Lex 2000 lining
- ATSM Electrical Hazard. Soft Dri-Lex lining. 400 gram Thinsulate insulation. Removable orthotic insole. Tough and durable Vibram Tacoma Logger Yellow Plug outsole.
Each pair is definitely designed to hold up to hard work.Each pair of these Bates military boots has a removable insole. This is convenient for washing the boots, or for replacing the insole with your own. The comfort features don’t stop there, though. The 2905 has a cushioned EVA midsole that is extra soft and comfortable.These boots are slip resistant, so you will be sure to stay on your feet. Try the Bates Black Delta 2905 Men’s Delta 6 GORE-TEX Military Boots for all of your comfort, durability, and waterproof needs.
- Leather, Mesh Upper
- Vibram TC5 Outsole. Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability, 5mm lug depth
- Molded nylon arch shank
- Merrell Air Cushion, Breathable mesh lining
- EVA midsole for stability and comfort, 5mm lug depth